Oranmore Optometrists is required under the Data Protection Acts to ensure the security and confidentiality of the personal data it processes. Personal data is one of our most important assets and each one of us has a responsibility to ensure the security of this information.Accurate, timely, relevant and properly protected personal data is essential to the successful operation of Oranmore Optometrists in the provision of services to our clients, and the public at large.
The purpose of this policy is to ensure that a standardised management approach is implemented as stated in Article 5 of the General Data Protection Regulation EU 2016/679.
Your Personal Data
At Oranmore Optometrists, we collect your personal data for the purpose of entering into or performing our contract with you to provide a service to you. This statement outlines how and why we collect your personal data and what uses we make of your personal data.
At your first appointment and thereafter we may collect:
1. Information we collect about you
- Personal details such as your name, age, address, telephone numbers, email address, PPS Number.
- Your doctor and relevant medical consultants.
- Your medical and ocular history.
- Information about proposed treatment, consent to treatment and treatment provided.
- Any correspondence with other healthcare professionals relating to you, including referrals to other healthcare professionals
We use your data where:
- You have agreed or explicitly consented to the using of your data in a specific way (you may withdraw consent at any time).
- Use is necessary in relation to providing you with ocular and health care (e.g. prescriptions, arrange referral to another healthcare professional, arrange for Department of Social Protection Treatment Benefit or Health Service Executive).
- Use is necessary to comply with a legal, ethical and regulatory obligation (e.g. correspondence with Optical Council or CORU).
- Use is necessary to protect your “vital interests” in exceptional circumstances.
- Use for our legitimate interests (which you may object to) such as managing our business, sending reminder messages of appointments, marketing of our practice.
As your privacy is of utmost importance to Oranmore Optometrists, your personal data is only used and disclosed for the purpose of your care. All members of the optical team adhere to the Optometrist's Code of Conduct and the Optical Registration Board (ORB) Code of Professional Conduct and Ethics for Optometrists set in place by CORU.
If one of our staff should leave the practice, Oranmore Optometrists will be guided by the above Code of Conduct to ensure your data is protected and your personal data is safeguarded and provide you with continuity of care where possible. Should this practice be acquired by a new owner, all rights and obligations will be transferred to the new owner who will hold your information as securely as set out in this privacy notice.
4. How to exercise your information rights and the right to object
From 25 May 2018 you will have several enhanced rights, including the right, without undue delay, to:
- Find out if we use your information, access your information and receive a copy of this information.
- Have accurate records updated.
- Object to particular use of your personal data for our legitimate business interests or direct marketing purposes.
- In certain circumstances, have your information deleted.
- Withdraw consent at any time where processing is done based on consent.
How long we hold your health care data is subject to legislation and regulatory rules set by authorities such as the Optical Registration Board (ORB) or CORU.
6. How to contact us regarding your rights
If you wish to discuss any of the above or have a complaint or concern, please direct any queries to firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 091788537 or by post to Oranmore Optometrists, Unit 2a, Orantown Centre, Oranmore, Co.Galway.
7. Your right to complain to the Data Protection Commissioner
You have the right to complain to the Data Protection Commissioner at: email@example.com or postal address of: Data Protection Commission, Canal House, Station Road, Portarlington, R32 AP23, Co Laois.
We may update our privacy notice from time to time. We will endeavor to notify you of any changes.